Application and Selection Process:
Community Leadership Program
Are you interested in learning more about leading in your community and how you can give back? Then the Leadership Great South Coast (LGSC) Community Leadership Program is for you.
It is a program like no other. You will learn in, and with community through immersive experiences, field trips and retreats.
This program will provide opportunities to strengthen community leadership capabilities and develop connections between local leaders and regional development initiatives. Formal and informal networking opportunities will feature throughout the program.
This program seeks diversity of participants, and cross sector and regional representation. Places in the LGSC Community Leadership Program are competitive and limited to a max of 20 participants annually. To ensure high quality participants our application and selection process is robust, transparent and based on merit (outlined below).
This program is designed to be delivered face-to-face and in community. Under unforeseen circumstances adapting to online will be considered.
Stage 1 – Online Application – 2021 Applicants FAQ’s
Stage 2 – Shortlisting
Stage 3 – Interview Process
Stage 4 – Offers made
Selection criteria for the annual LGSC Community Leadership Program include:
- Ability to engage as an active learner
- Proven leadership record OR aspirations with potential for further growth in your chosen sector – community organisations, academia, industry, business, or government
- Committed to community activity and volunteerism in the Great South Coast community
- Capacity to commit time and energy to the program
- Potential to volunteer and give back to your local community in the future
LGSC is a Not for Profit organisation that operates on the generosity of our Program partners.
With the exception of full scholarship recipients, each participant pays a subsidised fee of
$5,000 +GST payable upon acceptance into the Program.
In return, Program participants undertake a unique learning journey valued over $8,500 per person.
Note – Fees may be paid by the individual or their employer prior to program commencement.
LGSC offers $30,000** scholarships.
2023 Program Scholarships/criteria*:
- Wannon Water – 1 x $5,000 (Diversity)
- Gardiner Foundation – 1 x $5,000 (Dairy farmer from the region)
- Gardiner Foundation – 1 x $5,000 (Service provider to the dairy industry from the region)
- Community Bank Port Fairy and District – 1 x $5000 (Port Fairy and District Community Member)
- South West Community Foundation – 1 x $5000 (General)
- Corangamite Shire – 1 x $2,500 (Corangamite Shire resident)
- Leadership Great South Coast – 1 x $2,500 (General)
Note: Further scholarships may be announced at a later date.
LGSC believes the Program fee should not restrict candidates from applying. If the Program fee is an issue for you please advise at the time of application and indicate your intention to apply for a scholarship via your online application form.
* Each scholarship application is assessed on a case by case basis against scholarship criteria. Participant gap fee payment ($500 +GST Full Scholarship or $250 +GST Part Scholarship) is required prior to Program start (February annually).
** Varies annually
Executive Officer Kate Roache is available to discuss your application and provide scholarship criteria. Please do not hesitate to call 0408 627 066 for further information.
How To Apply
15 August – Program Applications Open
24 October – Program Applications Close
*Applicants will be short listed by the selection panel made up of members of LGSC staff, the LGSC Board and LGSC Alumni. Interviews will take place in November. Up to 20 applicants will be offered a place in the Program.
If you are unsuccessful in the application process we encourage you to applying again in the future as places are limited annually.
2023 Program Application are Now Open
Instructions – before you start:
- Read FAQs LGSC Program Applicants 2023
- Download and save the LGSC-Employer_Statement-Template prior to completing your application
- Download and save the LGSC-Employment_Education_Statement-Template prior to completing your application
The online application requires both templates to be completed and uploaded as part of your application. Note you won’t be able to progress to SUBMIT until you upload the completed forms x 2.
If you have any issues with the application form, please contact LGSC 0408627066
CLICK HERE to complete your Online Application
TIP – When you click SUBMIT at the end of the online form you will go to a confirmation webpage… for your records DOWNLOAD a PDF of your submitted application at this point.
Program Breakdown / Requirements
- Opening Retreat (Friday & Saturday overnight) February – compulsory
- Average of two Program Days per month in community (which may include field trips)
- 100% attendance target with a min 80% attendance required to graduate
- Mid Program Retreat July (Friday & Saturday) – compulsory
- Council meeting attendance (outside scheduled Program Days) July/August date TBC
- Field Trip to Victorian Parliament – September dates TBC
- Closing Retreat (Friday & Saturday overnight) November – compulsory
- Team community project
- Commencement of a community project completed in personal time
- Actively and equitably contribute to team community project
- Completion of community project, in personal time, prior to Graduation (hours vary)
- Attendance at Graduation December
LGSC Learning Environment Requirements
- Active participation in all program activities including program days, field trips and retreats
- Flexible and adaptive
- Completion of a personalised Learning Agreement document
- Regular engagement on LGSC online platform SLACK http://www.slack.com/
- Program Day/Retreat preparation including Program Day online surveys and written reflections (compulsory)
- Considered preparation, reflection and project work will take approximately 3 – 5 hours per week
- Proactively contribute to buddy and syndicate group structures and relationships
- Prepare in advance for syndicate roles and read/refer to LGSC Syndicate Book
- Complete employer/sponsor photo story reports mid-year (June/July) and end of year (November) in LGSC template
- Dress code varies from professional dress to smart casual depending on theme and location of day/s
- Access to transport to attend all Program days
Program Days are themed to cover relevant topics and issues for the Great South Coast such as Healthy Communities, Skilling our Region, the Economy, Climate Adaptation, the Arts, Futures Thinking, Nature Based Tourism and local Indigenous Culture. These topics are aligned to the Great South Coast Strategic Plans. Local and state leaders and content experts address the participants on the topics. See our Speakers and Latest News tabs for more information.
The Program also has embedded topics including, but not limited to, leadership skills and knowledge, ethical leadership, emotional and social intelligence, change management, project management, cultural awareness, adaptive fearless leadership, working with government and lobbying.
Prior to the Opening Retreat our facilitator profiles each participant and provides a personalised report on leadership strengths and challenges. The personalised report is used as a reference throughout the Program and is reviewed at the Closing Retreat.
The LGSC Program aligns to the www.rla.org.au state-wide Learning and Development Framework.