Australian Parliament Program Day 2020
#LGSC20 Participants took a virtual trip to Australian Parliament in Canberra this week expanding their political knowledge and networks. After an engaging session with the Parliamentary Education Team (thanks to Andrew Back) we enjoyed conversation with the following speakers gaining an understanding of their leadership journeys, their perspective on current political challenges and COVID19 recovery priorities.
Thanks to our guests for their frank and honest conversations
- Senator the Hon Scott Ryan
- Cathy McGowan AO
- The Hon Barnaby Joyce MP
- Dr Mike Kelly AM
- Senator Janet Rice
- The Hon Lisa Chesters MP
- The Hon Dr Helen Haines MP
- The Hon Zali Steggall OAM MP
Our takeaways included words of wisdom from Cathy McGowan – Leadership is a journey, you get better by doing it – her advice Turn Up, Speak Up and Step Up into your leadership.
Participant reflection – My quotable quotes include “getting an MP’s attention through story-telling; following up communication through MPs’ knowledgeable and hardworking staff; beginning with the end in mind & exercising our ‘courage muscle. Joy #LGSC2020
Our Program Day was state-wide Regional Leadership event with over 175 participants attending from all nine Victorian Community Leadership Programs.
- Northern Mallee Leaders www.nml.org.au
- Leadership Wimmera www.wda.org.au/leadership-wimmera
- Leadership Ballarat and Western Region www.lbwr.org
- Leaders For Geelong www.committeeforgeelong.com.au/leadership-portfolio/
- Lead Loddon Murray www.leadlm.org.au
- Goulburn Murray Community Leadership www.fairleyleadership.com.au
- Gippsland Community Leadership Program www.gclp.asn.au
- Alpine Valleys Community Leadership Program www.avclp.org.au
- Leadership Great South Coast www.lgsc.org.au
#LGSC21 Program Applications Now Open
#LGSC21 Program Applications are Now Open – Over $30,000 Scholarships Available click our Application Tab for more info – Get your Scholarship Apps in by 25 Sept
Answer yes to the following #LGSC21 is for you!
- I am ready to be inspired …2021 is my year
- I care for my community and want to make a difference
- I want to connect with people that lead our Great South Coast communities
- I want to meet like-minded people and make rewarding new networks and friendships
- I am seeking a learning opportunity that will help progress my career
- I want to be part of the solution and a community led recovery in 2021
Ready to take the next step in your leadership journey?
What you can expect from your LGSC year:
- Transferable leadership skills development
- Personal growth and professional development
- A supported opportunity to give back via a community project
- Expanded business, industry and community networks
- A greater understanding of our region’s social, economic and environmental opportunities and challenges
- Membership of a growing network of diverse cross sector program graduates
Annually we seek applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds and sectors with a range of scholarships on offer to support this aim.
The primary eligibility criteria is a demonstrated eagerness to contribute to the community and develop your leadership skills and networks.
Flashback #LGSC Project
‘Charged Landscape’ is a sculpture on the Port Fairy Rail Trail take a 5 min walk off the Reardon St entrance in Port Fairy (just over the little bridge) and its on your right. Through this piece artists Becky Nevin Berger and Jon Dixon recognise the many overlapping histories of Port Fairy …multiple aspects are brought together in a constellation representing the Emu in the Sky, from indigenous astronomy.
You can Click Here to find out more about the 29 Discs embedded in the boulders …the installation is best viewed at dusk, take torch /phone with you for the Discs. Tip – Don’t miss the Dark Emu on the large Flat Boulder…it is stunning.
Thanks to the Project team Emma Mahony, Gareth Colliton, Brendan Rea and Ann Cunningham (pictured below with Artists Becky and Jon)
Thanks to our project Partners The Hugh Williamson Foundation, Glenelg Hopkins CMA, Bamstone, The Isobel and David Jones Family Foundation, The Gall Family Foundation, Port Fairy to Warrnambool Rail Trail Committee
#LGSC21 Program Applications
Our 2021 Program Applications are currently Open jump onto our Application Tab for more info.
Thinking about applying , talk to our Alumni or contact LGSC on 0408627066
25 Sept – it is recommended you submit scholarship Apps by this date
31 Oct – all Applications Close